Recently I came across a post in a leading internet site. It said :
Why do I fail at everything I do. I cannot find anything that I am good at?
I'm now in my late forties and have had a number of "careers" which I have failed at. I recently was fired and was told that it was due to continually making the same mistakes. I went back to school at the age of 40 .. After failing at so many things , I now find my confidence has been shot and I feel like a total failure. I'm not sure what to do. If anyone has any suggestions or can even relate please feel free to jump in.
- Quitting too early : Failing does not mean that we are not good . It does not mean that we will be deemed as "Failures". Quitting is easy. Persistence and grit are difficult. But if we can persist, we are bound to succeed. As Churchill said "Never, never, never, never, never, give up". Always remember, that maybe when you gave up, you were just about to succeed !
- Losing Confidence : Sometimes , when we are failing again and again, we lose confidence in ourselves. We become mentally fatigued and weak. But the people who can keep a brave face are the ones who taste success. It takes a lot of effort , but that is the difference between the traits of an ordinary person and an extraordinary one. We can be one of them.
- Not taking lessons from past mistakes : Wise people learn from their mistakes. All of us take the advise of experienced people when we are in a fix because of the simple reason that they have gone through and learnt from situations which we have not yet encountered. The lessons which they have learnt from their failure enrich our journey. Similarly, our past mistakes should guide us towards success. We should harvest our past mistakes.
- Being afraid of losing our empire : Sometimes when we become too comfortable in our life , specially at work, we fear of losing the empire which we have built so painstakingly. That makes us risk averse and after a certain point, we stop growing and learning. The current economic situation is making people more and more fearsome and that prevents us from stretching the boundaries . The more we fear, the worse we will do at our jobs and the more we are destined to fail. Success means taking risks, learning pushing forward and growing.
- Lack of Goals : Sometimes , in our lives and in our career, we feel that we have "hit the ceiling". We feel that there is no where to go further. Our lives have reached a full-stop. Yes. It is true that this does happen. But , to succeed, we have to sense this before we reach the stage when we think that we cannot progress further and take positive steps on the next part of our lives and career. We should have a clear vision where we want to go. It is perfectly fine to make changes to your goals when the need arises, to think about altering your course. We can always have a list of excuses, but to succeed , we need clarity of thoughts, self discipline and a sense of self worth. Remember, everything is in finally in the mind !
Whatever problems we might be facing, we have to believe in ourselves and have trust on ourselves. We have to remember that as long as we are alive, we have the ability to try and solve it .
To overcome failure and succeed, we have to keep on moving.
We have to make things happen rather than wait for things to happen to us.
What is your take on reasons for failure ? Want to add more to the list ? I will be happy to learn more from you , so please write your thoughts in the comments.