In my corporate experience I have seen many people with very High IQ not being able to perform and I have also seen several people with mediocre IQ do fantastically well in their lives.
The biggest determinant for this inconsistency is Self- Confidence. This is one of the key characteristic of a Leader. And yes, Self Confidence can be developed.
The following are 10 ways you can enhance your Self Confidence :
- Recognize your fears and insecurities.Bring to the foreground emotions and thoughts that are always present at the back of your mind.
- Never be ashamed of yourself or to ask for help
- Talk to your friends and loved ones about your problems. Focus on the things that are creating problems for you and then try to find a way to solve these problems.
- Know that nobody is perfect. Even that famous film star or supermodel have insecurities.
- Enjoy and celebrate your success.
- Discover your talents and then focus on them. We should build on our strengths.
- When you feel low, look around you and at the problems that others are undergoing and thank God that he has blessed you with so much more. Believe me, a visit to the hospital or an orphanage can be therapeutic.
- Never fall victim to self-pity. It can be very damaging to your self esteem and self confidence. Self-pity promotes us to give excuses to ourselves. Also don't let others pity you; this will only lower your self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Try to smile as much as possible. A smile will add to your confidence. People are always appreciative of a smile.
- Fake it ! Sometimes just pretending to be confident makes you really confident ! You will never know when you will make a transition from pretension to reality.