Today , in Calcutta , India , it was a lazy winter morning. I got up late and felt very lazy to go for my routine morning walk. As I sat in my verandah with my morning cuppa, the warmth of the bright and lovely sunlight made me feel even lazier! After some time , I looked at my to-do list and just as I started feeling guilty about my laziness,I remembered him !
The lazy team member whom I loved to have in my team !
He was a very lazy, bright, creative person with lots of enthusiasm and initiative ! Yes, sure this sounds contradictory.... But after working with him for some time , I just could not do without him . Let me explain .
- He was forever looking for ways to reduce his time for work so that he could go and play table tennis . So , he came up with creative and very ingenious ways of doing things. Usually when I learnt how he did certain things , I made it a tool for improving the productivity of the rest of the team members.
- He always looked for ways to automate things since he wanted to expend the least effort . He created marvelous macros in excel sheets, looked for tools which could simplify the complex and time consuming processes.
- He never rushed into things and thought about the shortest and the best path . He tried to make things repeatable so that they don't have to go thru it again and again. I could make many best practices due to his laziness !
- Since he did not want to spend time in rework, he always did things right the first time !
- He was intelligent and very productive, so he was quickly promoted to lead a team. He delegated the work intelligently. He leveraged the strengths of his team and got his work done so efficiently that his effectiveness as a lead was set as an example in the organization. He did not micro-manage his team and this worked famously with them and the team doted on him.
And yes, I loved to have this intelligent lazy person in my team !