I have a target of writing one blog post every Wednesday. But for the last two weeks I am lagging behind. Too many tasks, too many different activities and too many distractions .....
Consider this - I have to work on my consultancy work, my coaching assignments, there are some social welfare activities that I am involved in , which needs attention and on top of this certain household chores and usual problems. I try to fit in everything in my own 86400 seconds of my day. How do I fit in the things which rejuvenate me - like reading, music, blogging and writing ? Sometimes I get the feeling that I am being robbed of my 86400!
As I had written in one of my previous posts on PRODUCTIVITY , I am a great believer in To-do lists and Time management. And one of the the main deterrent to time management is distraction or interruption.
How to tackle distractions ? I have thought about it and would like to share my tips :
- One of the biggest distraction is email and social networking. We always want to be available (Read the post FOMO). From today I will set aside about 30-45 min per day for emails and networking. I will try to spread it across my day during the most unproductive periods of day.
- Phone calls - If I am in between some important task, and my phone rings, I will ignore it or cut it short by saying I will call back .
- Time thieves : Some people are time thieves who have nothing to do except distract you from your work. Try to recognize them and tackle with them appropriately. They come in various avatars -Negative people, gloomy people, adoring people and lost people. Cut them short , be selfish about spending your time on them - save your precious 86400 !
- Me !!! - I have seen that sometimes when I am working , my thoughts get carried away towards some news ideas or projects rather than which is on my desk right now ! I will keep a notebook handy and jot down the ideas and get back on track on my current task .
- Learning to say "NO" - Sounds easy, but it is very difficult. When people request you or demand that you do a certain task, they think that you am catering to only their job. But that is not the case. You have to put yourself first. We can say say no politely and give a reason. People do understand. It is we who need to practice saying "No" .
We have to keep our goals in mind and if possible in front of our eyes. Stick the Weekly to-do list on your work table. And relentlessly strive to protect the gift of 86400 seconds you get every day from God.
Hope to get back on track on my weekly blogging .
So if you see another post from me after a week, be sure that the above tips are working !