My dear Team,
The new financial year has set in.
There are a lot of things to do and several thresholds to be surpassed.
If I look a year back, I can see that the IT team has come a long way. We have set up the R&D Team. We have implemented complex modules like Autojob Allocation, Recruitment , Domain etc. We have initiated the Helpdesk team and the application. We have set up the testing team. Recently we have started performance testing of applications . We have achieved ISO 27001. Our process are better that what it used to be. We have initiated the Manesar revamp. We have started using tools like Mantis and SVN. We have implemented the Timesheet system. Tracking of IT helpdesk tickets of the Circles , training and the new appraisal system have started working.
Yes, we have done a lot.
But we have a LONG way to go .
I am writing this email to all of you to make you understand what plans I have for this year and what I want to achieve - with the co-operation and hard work of ALL of you. The following are there in my wish list :
- Do It Right the first time : Before we start any task , think, analyse, ask questions, clarify and then do your job. Proper analysis, unit testing , performance testing will help us achieve Zero Defect Delivery.
- Measure , measure, measure : If we cannot measure anything, we cannot improve. I want the team to be managed using data, objectively. You will count the number of defects found in your code, no of outages , no. of times the application goes down, the number of bugs found in the production. These data should be on your fingertips. These numbers will be written in your appraisal form.
- Ownership : I want all of us to take complete ownership of our work. We have to take charge, initiative to figure out if things go wrong in those items.
- Analysis and Preventive action : We are generating a lot of data . Example defect data, performance data, helpdesk ticket data. These do not have any meaning if do not analyse them and come up with areas of improvements. We have to improve continuously. Taking small steps. And you are empowered to make these improvements. Only you can do it – since you are the ones who have to go thru the pains of waking up all night to rectify things, get rebuked for closing tickets and repairing networks, hardware etc. Small suggestions, ideas, trainings will go a long way in improvement in our quality as well as timeliness of our work.
- Faster & better : The times have changed. Everybody wants things to be done instantly. While we should take care that we do not deliver buggy code or fixes, we have to be sensitive to the fact that we have to turn around much faster than what we are currently doing. We might have to change some approach for this. Better collaboration, communication and good relationship between our team as well as other functions are crucial too.
We have to scale new heights. There are a lot of expectations of the Senior Management from all of you. We have to become bigger and global in our outlook. We need fresh, innovative ideas, initiative , hardwork and sincerity and proactiveness from all of you.
And believe me , I am there to help you achieve these goals. Never hesitate to reach out to me if you think the above vision is being sabotaged or you need support or have some innovative ideas .
Looking forward to a fruitful , successful, fulfilling and enjoyable year ahead.