Yesterday was 8th March - International Women's Day. Personally speaking, I do not find much relevance in these "so-called-days" , but maybe it is a nice way to remind us about gender equality, equal opportunity and women empowerment that is needed.
It is not a thing that women should fight for.
I say so because in any "fight", there is an opponent. But here, the females themselves not convinced about themselves. I agree that times have changed, women are coming into diverse fields , more and more women are coming into the workforce, there is much more acceptance of females in every step of life, in decision making, financial independence, but I feel we have a looooong way to go !
But that is not what I want to talk about in this blog post. I want to write about some qualities which are inherently there in females which are much in demand nowadays. The idea of leadership is fast changing. We are moving away from "Hot power leadership" towards "cool power leadership". And it has been proved through research that women are more suited for such leadership. More and more organizations want their leaders to acquire certain qualities which are quite inherently there in most of the females :
- Empathizing with the team : This comes naturally to the females. We can easily get into the shoes of the other person and share his /her state of mind.
- Emotions : A couple of years back, it was thought that is a big divide between the professional and personal lives of an employee. At work one is supposed to keep emotions at bay and talk only profession. But with social media , constant connectivity with whatsapp, facebook where people change their status always, this divide has almost vanished. So, it is a farce to believe that we can leave our personal face at home and bring the professional one to work. The senior male managers find this a bit difficult to digest, but on the contrary, the females deal with this very elegantly.
- Multi Tasking : Women are born multi-taskers. They are naturally prone to managing multiple things together, putting on several hats competing with several simultaneous deadlines. Their balancing act helps them to remain cool and composed in dealing with several concurrent assignments.
- Asking for help : We are not super humans. We need help more than often to get things done. The male ego sometimes becomes a big barrier when they have to ask for help. Not so with females !
- Co-operation and collaboration : Business moves quicker than it ever has before, and it’s increasingly specialized. Women embrace this concept more readily. They are better at co-operation and collaboration . Again this comes naturally to us.
It is a separate matter that sometimes some of these qualities also act as hindrance, but that is for another post !
So, womenfolk, let us exalt in our glory and make the most of the above natural abilities to excel at work! And it goes without saying that we need the support of the men and the larger society to succeed !
Cheers and a happy women's day to all !